CNMI Department of Finance
Division of Customs & Quarantine
The Division of Customs and Quarantine is responsible for the facilitation of trade, collection of revenue through the enforcement of excise taxes on imported goods and identifying and seizing prohibited (contraband) items imported to and exported from the CNMI.
Mission & Goals
The Division of Customs and Quarantine safeguards all ports of entry which includes the Seaport, Airport and U.S. Postal, from any importation of contraband, narcotics, illegal drugs and dutiable commodities.
The Division continues to strive to improve its operations on the front line as mandated by the CNMI laws and all applicable Federal laws.
Vigilance is how we ensure the safety of our island community. We are constantly watchful and alert to deter, detect and prevent threats to our islands. We exhibit courage and bravery in protecting our islands.
Professionalism is personified in the work we do. We are dedicated to defending and maintaining the laws of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. The island community have entrusted us to protect our borders.
Integrity is our foundation. We conduct ourselves by the highest ethical and moral principles, doing what is right, even when no one is looking. Our actions bring honor to ourselves and our agency.
CNMI Customs and Quarantine safeguards all ports of entry which includes the Seaport, Airport and U.S. Postal, from any importation of contraband, illegal drugs and dutiable commodities.
- Conduct clearance on all ocean vessels, which includes the assessment of manifest and all documents on arriving vessels and cargos and impose excise tax and receipt all payments due on excise tax and other fees pertaining to customs.
- Inspect containers and loose cargos to prevent the importation of contraband and undeclared goods and to ascertain that articles contained therein are taxable, prohibited or restricted.
- Process clearance for all cruise liners and its passengers.
- Conduct clearance on all airlines (arriving passengers) through the inspection of passenger baggage and the collection of excise tax and receipt of payment due on excise tax and other fees pertaining to customs regulation.
- Conduct clearance on inbound cargo through the inspection of cargo at the freight, including the manifest and assessment of documents on all incoming cargo and collection of excise tax and receipt of payment due on excise tax and other fees pertaining to customs regulation.